So, my first food blog…eeeeek!
I have wanted to tell people about this delicious yet super decadent treat for AGES! I first made them back in 2013 (after finding them on Pinterest) for my housemates and they went down soooooo well!!!
If you like chocolate and peanut butter then this is for you. I will warn you, it is crazy rich, and you will probably need a cup of tea to go with it (let’s be honest, when do you eat cake and NOT have tea?)
What you need
- A packet of Oreos (other sandwich type biscuits are available)
- A jar of peanut butter (I personally used smooth but I guess crunchy would work)
- A good brownie recipe OR a box of brownie mix. My NONE secret brownie recipe is below if you want to try it! Sorry guys, I refuse to give out my ACTUAL brownie recipe
- A cupcake tin
- Cake cases (I personally use muffin cases for all my cupcake esq bakes)
- 200g good quality dark chocolate (personally I use Bourneville)
- 100g Unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 medium/large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 60g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
What to do
First you need to set up your cake cases (if you don’t know how to do this then stop reading now!) and preheat the oven to 180c
THEN make up the brownie batter… here’s how:
- Break up the chocolate, add it to a heatproof bowl (glass…) with the butter (personally I cut the butter into cubes, it melts better) pop the bowl over a pan of boiling water making sure the water & bowl don’t touch (I always wondered WHY this was, I guess its to stop the chocolate heating TOO quickly and therefore splitting or burning… if you know the REAL reason comment below!)
- Once its all melted and smooth and delicious looking, let it cool a little and add the sugar, stir it all in (it will get all thick & gloopy)
- Add in the eggs one at a time. There is a chance of this going wrong and curdling…add a small spoon of flour to stop this happening!
- Sift in the flour & cocoa powder and fold it in so you have the most gorgeous smooth chocolatey goodness
NEXT you need to prep your oreos.
Basically… just smear them on one (or if you like a lot of peanut butter both) sides with peanut butter.
Building your stacks….
- Pop a small spoon full of the brownie batter into the bottom of each cake case.
- Then pop in 2 of your peanut butter smeared oreos. (it should go… brownie batter, peanut butter, oreo, peanut butter, oreo, peanut butter)
- Cover your stacks with the brownie mix (you need to TOTALLY cover them so you can’t see the oreos or they will burn in the oven.
- Pop your creation in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The brownie should be firmish to the touch but still a bit gooey!
- Let them cool in the tin for a little bit then pop them on to a wire rack to cool fully.
- ENJOY with a cup of tea!
I hope you enjoy these treats, let me know how you get on with making them and if you have any genius ideas on ways to improve them!!
I have made these with a caramel spread instead of peanut butter (a strange person who didn’t like peanut butter asked for it!) and I THINK you could use a nice thick raspberry jam or curd to make them a bit different and fruity!
P.S. sorry for the crappy pics!!!